The best topic

Replies: 10350
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:32:40 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

BC Park Rangers...

Started by Anonymous, January 19, 2020, 10:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 4 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

is hiring.  This is just a seasonal position, lasting about 5 to 7 months during Spring to Fall.  I thought that this might not be a bad job...  Understand that they are not peace officers like Conservation Officers are, so it seems to me that a Park Ranger would have fairly simple duties:  Wander the trails making sure people behave (even though they have no enforcement authority), make sure nobody is burning when burn ban in effect, empty trash bins at park facilities, put new toilet paper on the little spools at park facilities, wave at tourists and answer their questions...  Shit like that, I would imagine, would be an average day for a Park Ranger.

I can put toilet paper on spools, and I can wander around in the bush also!  They are hiring for this area (popular destination for tourists).  I thought if I get sick of trucking, this job might not be a bad way to spend the Summer.

Now look at the god damned requirements I've posted below needed for this relatively basic position...  You even have to take a course at BCIT?  What the fuck?  What happened to the olden days when you'd spend a few days with a senior employee learning the ropes in the field?

And the Provincial Government has this "diversity hiring" scheme too, so I'm probably too White and too male anyhow...

Why must they complicate a job where your real duties are wandering around the woods and putting toilet paper on spools?

https://i.ibb.co/PNrw9Gk/Capture.jpg">

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mel"is hiring.  This is just a seasonal position, lasting about 5 to 7 months during Spring to Fall.  I thought that this might not be a bad job...  Understand that they are not peace officers like Conservation Officers are, so it seems to me that a Park Ranger would have fairly simple duties:  Wander the trails making sure people behave (even though they have no enforcement authority), make sure nobody is burning when burn ban in effect, empty trash bins at park facilities, put new toilet paper on the little spools at park facilities, wave at tourists and answer their questions...  Shit like that, I would imagine, would be an average day for a Park Ranger.

I can put toilet paper on spools, and I can wander around in the bush also!  They are hiring for this area (popular destination for tourists).  I thought if I get sick of trucking, this job might not be a bad way to spend the Summer.

Now look at the god damned requirements I've posted below needed for this relatively basic position...  You even have to take a course at BCIT?  What the fuck?  What happened to the olden days when you'd spend a few days with a senior employee learning the ropes in the field?

And the Provincial Government has this "diversity hiring" scheme too, so I'm probably too White and too male anyhow...

Why must they complicate a job where your real duties are wandering around the woods and putting toilet paper on spools?

They want a lot for a seasonal entry level job that anybody can do. Probably only pays about $20 an hour.

Anonymous

Pay range is $24.50 to $27.50/hour, so not exactly stellar either for a very expansive Province to live in...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mel"Pay range is $24.50 to $27.50/hour, so not exactly stellar either for a very expansive Province to live in...

A little better, but somebody who has those qualifications can do better than that.

Anonymous

That's what I figure too.  And since the job is seasonal, lasting for only 5 to 7 months, they sure seem to ask for a whole lot of qualifications for an entry level job.  I'm not even sure if there's benefits to be honest, since it's seasonal so probably wouldn't be considered 'full time'...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mel"is hiring.  This is just a seasonal position, lasting about 5 to 7 months during Spring to Fall.  I thought that this might not be a bad job...  Understand that they are not peace officers like Conservation Officers are, so it seems to me that a Park Ranger would have fairly simple duties:  Wander the trails making sure people behave (even though they have no enforcement authority), make sure nobody is burning when burn ban in effect, empty trash bins at park facilities, put new toilet paper on the little spools at park facilities, wave at tourists and answer their questions...  Shit like that, I would imagine, would be an average day for a Park Ranger.

The requirements and the duties don't seem to match.

Anonymous

And that's the listing for a Park Ranger, which is about as entry level a position that there is in that field...

Just for fun I should email them and ask if they still hire white males, or if dressing up as a tranny would give me a competitive edge for the shortlist...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mel"And that's the listing for a Park Ranger, which is about as entry level a position that there is in that field...

Just for fun I should email them and ask if they still hire white males, or if dressing up as a tranny would give me a competitive edge for the shortlist...

Why not. Email them your cv.

Anonymous

Two things I'd need before I even apply:  Occupational First Aid.  I have basic first aid training, but that doesn't count I guess.  Card is expired anyhow.

Then would have to take a $620 online course, which is administered by BCIT.  I guess online isn't so bad, as at first I thought you'd have to attend BCIT, which is in Burnaby...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mel"Two things I'd need before I even apply:  Occupational First Aid.  I have basic first aid training, but that doesn't count I guess.  Card is expired anyhow.

Then would have to take a $620 online course, which is administered by BCIT.  I guess online isn't so bad, as at first I thought you'd have to attend BCIT, which is in Burnaby...

Is Occupational First Aid the same as Standard First Aid? The drilling contractors pay for their employees recerts along with H2S Alive. Standard First Aid with CPR for the first time is a two day course. Recert is one.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"
Is Occupational First Aid the same as Standard First Aid? The drilling contractors pay for their employees recerts along with H2S Alive. Standard First Aid with CPR for the first time is a two day course. Recert is one.

They're different.  I obtained Standard First aid with CPR – C, which was required for a job I almost got, but didn't in the end as I had a 24 hour suspension on my driving record.  It was a two day course.

Occupational First Aid Level 1 seems to be just a one day course, so even more basic I guess.

Level 2 is a 36 hour course, and Level 3 is a 70 hour course.

So even though Standard First aid with CPR - C is more in depth than OFA Level 1, I think it has something to with WorkSafeBC not viewing Standard First Aid the same way it views OFA.  

I guess it's up to the employer to decide what 'version' they'd prefer it seems...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mel"

They're different.  I obtained Standard First aid with CPR – C, which was required for a job I almost got, but didn't in the end as I had a 24 hour suspension on my driving record.  It was a two day course.

Occupational First Aid Level 1 seems to be just a one day course, so even more basic I guess.

Level 2 is a 36 hour course, and Level 3 is a 70 hour course.

So even though Standard First aid with CPR - C is more in depth than OFA Level 1, I think it has something to with WorkSafeBC not viewing Standard First Aid the same way it views OFA.  

I guess it's up to the employer to decide what 'version' they'd prefer it seems...

That sounds like an EMR in Alberta and Saskatchewan. That course can get you a band-aid job on a rig. You get paid $250-300 a day to sleep.

Anonymous

That sounds like an EMR in Alberta and Saskatchewan. That course can get you a band-aid job on a rig. You get paid $250-300 a day to sleep.

Now that's a job that would suit my work ethic!

Anonymous

I knew a girl that got a degree online while getting paid $300 a day plus meals.

Anonymous

I knew a girl that got a degree online while getting paid $300 a day plus meals.

But, she has to live in remote areas.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
spell bacon backwards with the first letter capitalized:
Is Alticus a dick sucking fairy? (answer is opposite of no):
911 was an attack on what city (spell out lower case two words):
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview